My month of no shopping is finally over! I would be lying if I said I didn't go through a bit of withdrawal and didn't do any window shopping or internet browsing. However, I'm proud of myself for reaching deeper and getting extra creative to come up with outfits I felt great in without breaking my promise or my closet rules.
I spent quite a bit of time throughout the month thinking about how I would resume my shopping when the month past. I wanted to have a strategy so I didn't go back to old ways of over-shopping. I focused in on pieces that I thought would really move the closet needle: statement necklaces, power dresses and sandals.
A statement necklace can make or break an outfit. It's always good to have multiple options to chose from, depending on the rest of the outfit. A necklace can be the pop of color a neutral outfit needs. It can also add a touch of fancy to a more laid back ensemble. I've even used statement necklaces to add cover in a too much skin situation. So many benefits! This recent purchase is so perfect paired with neutrals. It's also a super funky shape that I'm loving.
I dedicated a lot of my shopping-free month browsing for the perfect power dresses. I came up with a criteria to ensure I was making responsible closet choices:
- A classic style, fit and print. Nothing that is too trendy that would only last a season.
- Multi-season wearability. I wanted something that I could wear well into fall, maybe even pair with black tights for winter.
- A flattering fit that I feel great in. This is the most important. A dress may check off criteria one and two, but if I don't feel great, I won't wear it. I know I'd feel good in something with a defined waist that doesn't show too much skin anywhere.
Through all my dress searching, I didn't find much that met all the criteria that I was really excited about. Then I was delivered this beautiful black and white A-line dress that fit me perfect. The material is thick enough to go beyond summer, but also perfect with a summer sandal. I can dress it up or down and always in comfort. That is a true win.
I'm almost always shopping for shoes. They are my number one. If I'm having a bad hair day, feeling like I need to go on a diet, shoes will always look good and take an outfit up a notch. This was a particularly big deal because I just threw out a lot of my sandals from past seasons that have seen better days, and I was feeling sad about it.
I made two purchases here (big surprise). First I found these simple but gorgeous black ankle strap sandals with a shorter heel--dressy but more walkable for day to day. They go with just about everything, including my new power dress. I have a feeling you'll be seeing these a bunch this summer.
My second shoe purchase has an emotional tie. When my grandmother passed away about eight years ago, I inherited an amazing pair of black patent leather Birkenstocks. You see, she was a very fancy lady, but in her later years she had terrible arthritis in her feet making it hard to find shoes she could wear. For eight years I commuted to the office during the warmer months in my cherished, hand-me-down Birkenstocks. Last week as I was walking to the office, I felt a painful poking in the ball of my foot. On closer investigation, I realized the leather foot bed ripped. Sadly, it was the last day I wore them. Immediately following, I ordered a new pair in copper. My grandmother would be very proud.
Moving forward, I hope to avoid impulse purchases and continue to make responsible buys that I could get really good use out of.
- Copper sandals: Birkenstocks for $133
- Striped A-line dress: Maggy London on sale for $49 (Additional sizes available on Amazon)
- Black sandals: Steve Madden for $79.95
- Metal fringe collar necklace: Bay to Bauble for StitchFix for $34 (similar at Baublebar for $62)
- Nov 8, 2018 How I Shop Luxury Brands for Less Nov 8, 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016