If you asked me two weeks ago--and I happened to possess epic power--I would've opted for another month of summer. I wasn't ready to hand in my bright colors, florals and wedge sandals just yet; however, the sweaty commutes have finally gotten to me. The emerging fall fashion trends are also super exciting. I have to apply large amounts of self-control to not head to Bloomingdales on my lunch break and do some major shopping damage. Being that I can't control the weather, I only hope that the bandaid doesn't get ripped off too quickly and I'm able to slowly phase out my open toe sandals and bare legs.
Once Labor Day hits, some items that are 100% summer items are retired for the season while others stick around as long as the weather permits. Not only do they get in a couple more wears; they get fresh outfit options and pairings.
My Labor Day expirations:
- I trade in my thin, airy fabrics for thicker materials. The short sleeve sweater I wore today is a great example of a thicker fabric for the warmer side of a weather transition.
- My bright and pastel colors and floral patterns are replaced with darker tones and plaid prints. While I will continue to wear lots of color, my wardrobe will begin to take on a darker tone overall.
- Wedge sandals are packed away to make room for booties. Wedges are a perfect example of an item I consider 100% summer. Since wedge season is so short, I justified an expensive See by Chloe pair years ago with their classic look and multi-year lifespan. They are finishing up their third summer and going strong!
I'm not quite ready to say goodbye:
- Open-toe sandals still have a good amount of wears, though they are now in rotation with ballet flats, pumps and booties. It was a little cooler today in NYC, but still warm enough for the toes to show.
- In skirts and dresses my legs are still tanned and bare. I will continue to go without tights for as long as the weather permits and my tan holds out.
- Season-spanning blouses and dresses can continue to be worn by being reinvented with a coordinating blazer, jacket or some other kind of layer. The heat is finally letting up a bit!
Fall layering is what I look forward to most. I don't necessarily have to account for warmth as top priority yet, so I can have some fun with different patterns, textures and styles. This is an opportunity to add a new dimension to an outfit or reinvent something I may have worn on its own over the summer. I'm really enjoying playing around with different combinations to discover new power outfits to try out.
With my self control waning, first up on my list of fall must-haves is a killer bomber jacket and a new pair of amazing booties. For the bomber, I'm looking for a high quality fabric and something neutral enough to pair with lots of outfits but fun enough to add some spice. For the boots I'm focused on a rich, cognac color and a stacked heel. Hopefully, more to come on both of those fronts!
- White short sleeve sweater: Express (same one for $39.90)
- Dark grey jogger pants: Level 99 for StitchFix (similar pair by On The Road for Anthropologie for $98.00. Another satin option by Express for $59.90).
- Black strappy sandals: Splendid (Similar lace up option also by Splendid for $157.95. Another option by Madewell on sale for $124.99)
- May 2019
- Apr 15, 2019 Miami: Packing, Buying, Eating, Visiting Apr 15, 2019
- March 2019
- Feb 21, 2019 Winter Style Equation Feb 21, 2019
- January 2019
- Dec 30, 2018 A Celebration of 2018's Power Outfits Dec 30, 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016