I don’t take investment purchases lightly. It’s such a big deal because it requires months of saving, a belief that I’ll be rocking this item for the foreseeable future and happens very rarely in life. This is only my third. Each one is a roller coaster ride of emotion. I recently purchased my first-ever investment bag, and it was literally the single-highest amount of money I ever spent on a wearable item. I’m taking you along on the whole journey.
The build up: Why am I doing this?
I’m a shoe gal. I can instantly fall in love with a pair, know I need it, and start working on a strategy to make them mine. I don’t have the same obsession with bags, yet I kept finding myself in situations where I didn’t have the right bag for the situation, usually fancier occasions. I’d casually browse clutches but never get that same need-to-have feeling. It was the two weddings I had this fall that finally gave me a deadline I needed to hit. I’m investing in a clutch that is 1) classic 2) versatile 3) swoon-worthy.
ALL of the research
I had my marching orders and a deadline. Now it’s time to get down to business. I was on EVERY department store website searching by style, design, price. I was stalking my favorite bloggers to see what the heck they were carrying. I’d find one that I liked and unofficially poll my friends for their opinion.
With online research I narrowed it down to two brands: Chloe and Saint Laurent. Honestly, if I could afford a Chanel, it would’ve been top of the list, since it’s the most classic. I think my husband may have murdered me if I spent that Chanel-type money!
The most useful research i did was in person. I went to Barneys and walked around the floor to see everything in person. This is when I quickly ruled out Chloe. The size was just wrong, and I needed to hold it to make that confirmation. I spent a lot of time at the Saint Laurent counter holding every style that I liked. I was torn between the envelope style and the tassel. I asked a ton of questions and got a ton of advice from the spicy sales associate:
Q: Is the tassel too fancy for day use?
A: If you were a 50 year old dame, I’d say no, but you’re too young to carry this daily.
Q: Does the envelop style come with a tassel? Best of both worlds and decision avoided!
Q: Too trendy?
A: For you? Yes. (Please refer to answer of question one)
Q: Can I get the envelope style with silver or gold details?
A: Yes, comes in either.
Q: Does it come in a smooth leather?
A: Yes, but don’t get that one. The leather nicks really easily! (Best advice I received!)
The stress of searching
Get the one you REALLY want. Never compromise or settle on your investment purchase. I finally decided on the envelope style in gold (officially called the Monogram YSL Chevron Quilted Wallet). Turns out, they only had silver, and I was heartbroken. I was ready to strut out of Barneys and twirl my way down the street with a massive grin on my face and a Barney’s bag in my hand. Literally. In the dream scenario of this process, the montage of walking out of the store was the highlight.
My sales associate was confident that there was a gold in stock somewhere and he could send it to me. While this killed my purchase montage, I agreed. The next day, he confirmed there were none in gold. My stress level went even higher when I checked stock at both Saks and Bergdorf’s. Was there none in all of New York City? Now I was getting desperate.
How could I fall in love with the only style that was unattainable?! I didn’t give up and finally found it at Neiman Marcus in New Jersey. I called in the biggest favor with my very patient husband and we drove to Neiman after work that same day.
So, surprise, we get there and the seller shows me a larger version that has a chain that can be worn SEVEN different ways….for an additional $300. Now I’m torn, not to mention my husband may have a heart attack. He wasn’t supposed to witness the purchase or know just how much I was spending.
Shock of the century, in my state of decision paralysis he told me not to settle and go for the bigger one. He earned himself the biggest hug in that moment.
I purchased the Matelasse Monogram YSL Wallet on Chain. Saint Lauren pebbled calfskin chain wallet with golden hardware was mine to take home. OK, so it wasn’t the same montage that I had originally planned, pirouetting out of Barneys, but I did get some photo evidence of the massive grin on my face as I cuddled the Neiman Marcus bag. Then we headed to the mall foodcourt for some celebratory Chick Fil A.
The first wear
So worth it, so glad I went with the larger size. So in love. I now have a go-to bag for literally every situation. No need to stress about which bag to choose. And because I opted for the version that can be worn seven ways, the versatility of the bag goes way up. Tuck the chain in to create a clutch. Crisscross the chain inside to create a shorter shoulder bag. There are four more ways that I have yet to discover! If you happen to see my strutting down the street in my gym clothes with a gold chained Saint Laurent on my arm, let me live :)
- May 2019
- Apr 15, 2019 Miami: Packing, Buying, Eating, Visiting Apr 15, 2019
- March 2019
- Feb 21, 2019 Winter Style Equation Feb 21, 2019
- January 2019
- Dec 30, 2018 A Celebration of 2018's Power Outfits Dec 30, 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016