I have to start by saying how amazing this skirt is on its own. The asymmetric style and high cut waist is universally flattering. The striped pattern allows a little fun no matter how strict your office dress code is. The print and style alone add the power to any power outfit. Move over standard, black pencil skirt, this fire cracker needs to be seen!
One evening after work I stopped into the Express above my train--it's so hard not to sometimes when it's so dang convenient! I attempted to have tunnel vision for a white short sleeve sweater. As I was walking from the dressing room to the checkout line, this striped skirt caught my eye. It was the last one left on a clearance rack, and it happened to be my size. Even though I recently bought a high waisted gingham skirt in black and white, it just felt like all signs were pointing to me needing to own this skirt (I always find some way to justify buying items I really, really want). I snatched the skirt up and headed to the register without trying it on.
I also justified the purchase by coming up with one pairing with something already in my closet--this chambray shirt. Looking back, I laugh at how limited my outfit pairing around this skirt was at first. Once I had it on for a day at the office and learned just how much I loved the way I felt in it, multiple outfits ideas came flowing. I wanted to come up with as many excuses as possible to wear this baby!
Here are three styling themes I came up with. I'm sure there are many more:
#1: Pair with a solid colored top. I'm a huge fan of blues paired with black and white; something about this combination really draws me in. Almost any color will pair well with black and white stripes. You can always go with black or white top, but my personal taste it to pull in a bold, contrasting color to tell a full, fun story. This is also a great canvas to play around with fun necklaces or a neckerchief.
#2: Layer it up! The striped skirt acts as a good base to really go nuts with fun layers on top. I've paired it with my namesake magenta blazer (throwback!) and a white blouse for a really put together look for meetings with clients. One a more casual day, I would opt for my maroon moto jacket and a black crop top to show the tiniest peak of skin.
#3: Mix and match patterns! I've worn and written about this floral cami so many times, but it always comes through as a great pairing piece when I'm looking for something more than a solid. I'm hoping to fit this sleeveless trench outfit in before it gets too cold. As we get into cooler temperatures, plaid prints hit their stride. Stripes, plaids, florals; they all work together. I wouldn't try all at the same time, but try out some pattern mixing and see what new combos you come up with.
I declared my love for stripes in the past, but it needs to be said again that stripes are the perfect canvas to add some fun to your wardrobe. My stripes are usually on top; this is one of the few times I get to play around with other pairing options on the top half. Be prepared to see a lot of different looks with this skirt in the future!
If you'd like to own this exact skirt, hurry to Express; there are just a few left for under $60. I found a couple more options combining the stripes and asymmetric style:
- Like this Bailey 44 at Anthropologie version for $118.00.
- Another option with a wider stripe is this Catherine Malandrino at Nordstrom version for $78.00.
- Here's a longer version by Madewell in lighter colors for $110.00.
If you love the asymmetric cut:
- Express also carries the same skirt in this beautiful blue version for $49.90.
- I found another mini version in black by Madewell for $88.00.
If you're more drawn to striped skirts:
- January 2019
- Dec 30, 2018 A Celebration of 2018's Power Outfits Dec 30, 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016