This time of year when you’re utterly over the cold and just need some warmth and sunshine in your life, Miami is the ultimate destination from New York. Direct flight, only a couple hours of travel and you stay in the same timezone—all the makings of a quick weekend escape to a few amazing days of summer. I was lucky enough to make this exact trip a few weeks ago. As I hear of more and more people making this escape, I’m sharing my favorite spots to visit, places to eat + drink, and of course my outfits to make the most of your weekend. First up, my packing must-haves!
What to pack
Going somewhere in a completely different season usually throws me for a loop. Here I am snuggled in chunky sweaters packing bikinis. It takes a major brain shift and usually results in my overpacking. I did manage to fit everything into my carryon, but I also ended up doing some shopping (next section!)…it was my birthday after all!
Below are some items I couldn’t have gone to Miami without. Also check out my shots below to see my entire packing list.
When I’m home I have a massive beach bag tote that I stuff with my sunblock, a good book and fluffy towel. When you’re flying to a beach location, you don’t have the same luxury of bringing everything, so time to get creative. This is where my new BAGGU came in. It starts off as a tiny square that takes up no room in my suitcase and unfolds into the perfect size bag to carry my essentials to the beach. This is my third BAGGU bag. You know it had to be magenta!
Swimsuits and I have had a love-hate relationship over the years, so I decided to try a new retailer this time around to lean closer to the love side! A friend recommended Aerie and I was pleasantly surprised to find so many styles I really loved and at very reasonable prices. My favorite part of the Aerie website is that they use real girl models to see how the suit looks on multiple body types. Because of this, I felt great about ordering this wrap-around one-piece. I particularly like that I can get the perfect fit in the bust by adjusting the tie.
What I love about Miami is that anything goes. Thong bikinis, neon colors, midriff baring everything…it’s all fair game. Admittedly, I also found this quite daunting when packing, especially trying to pick a dress for the opening night party for the Miami Film Festival. I didn’t know how fancy the party would get, so I chose a dress that would work with anything from sneakers to flats to heels and the associated accessories for each. The wrap style of this dress is universally flattering , and it comes in almost a dozen colors. From day to night in the most versatile dress of the trip! Shop it below.
What I bought
Once I got the vibe for Miami, of course I wanted to do some shopping. I ended up doing the most damage in Madewell. Their spring collection is dangerous because I want it all. I walked out with three items I wore later in the trip:
Birthday Present to Myself
This requires a brief back story. When I made my investment purchase last year, I received a gift card for Neiman Marcus. I knew immediately what I would use it for: a Gucci belt! It’s something I’d likely not buy for myself unless I’d had the gift card. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find it in stock in my size anywhere near me for months. I checked the stock in Miami upon arrival and found my size! How perfect to finally get my belt my birthday weekend.
Where I Visited
Our hotel was right in the heart of South Beach and walking distance to Lincoln Road, which is where we headed after landing and spent the vast majority of our time for all things eating, drinking and shopping. If you’re from the Northeast, I’d compare it to an outdoor mall with tons of outdoor eating options, your standard slew of mainstream mall stores and the most amazing people watching ever. I was happy our hotel was within walking distance so I’d also know I could do some damage eating, drinking or shopping here!
On the first full day in Miami we did lots of exploring. I was lucky enough to have an awesome local to show me around and happily take photos! Our first stop was the beautiful Design District full of super upscale stores and adorable cafes. The architecture is stunning and the sights were picturesque at every turn. Blogger heaven here. It’s a great place for a stroll, bite to eat and a few photos. This is a drive out of South Beach to Miami Proper (we Ubered just about everywhere, which was easy and cheap) but worth the trip.
Next stop was one of my favorites. Wynwood Walls is a collection of urban graffiti art that you can walk amongst. Each wall tells a story from some of the best in class artists that have created pieces. Across the street from the main walls display is the cutest boutique full of local jewelry and other creations. We spent lots of time in here and I walked out with two pairs of earring that screamed Miami—I’m wearing the pink tassels below! We also ate amongst the art, sitting outside at the Wynwood Kitchen & Bar.
Where I Ate
Night out with friends
One of the funnest nights we had started at the Broken Shaker. In a town that can be described as over the top, I loved the chill, laid back vibes of the loungey backyard. They also had amazing cocktails; I got the best Paloma of the trip here! We sat poolside, sipped cocktails and laughed loudly for a couple of hours before we set off for dinner.
We took a short Uber ride to Espanola Way, which I knew was going to be amazing the moment we got out of the car and saw the celebration in the street. Similar to Stone Street in downtown Manhattan, multiple restaurants have seating that take over the street and create a fun dinner vibe. We had just enough to drink to join in with the napkin swinging and cheering before we sat down to an amazing Mexican dinner at Oh! Mexico.
We finished off the night with one more cocktail at the Loews a short walk from Espanola Way. In fact, I turned 33 at midnight sitting at Bar Collins!
I’ve learned that many of the fancy hotels on South Beach are also amazing food destinations. My plan on my birthday was to brunch with the hubs outdoors. We strolled down Lincoln Road yet again and headed to the National hotel for brunch by the pool. Amazing view and delicious food to start my birthday off right. Does that button down cami + belt + jeans look familiar?!
For my birthday dinner we started at Smith and Wollensky for drinks. Walk through the restaurant to the bar on the water for beautiful views. Bonus points if the boats are coming in/going out while you’re there. As it got closer to your dinner reservation we strolled through the park towards my favorite restaurant in Miami a short distance away.
Seriously, don’t eat anything all day then gorge yourself on the largest portions of the most delicious foods at Prime Italian. The cheesy bread they serve upon arrival is to die for and the main reason I’ve never finished a meal here.
- Jul 2, 2019 The best under garments for summer Jul 2, 2019
- Jun 11, 2019 Summer clean out! Shop my closet Jun 11, 2019
- May 2019
- Apr 15, 2019 Miami: Packing, Buying, Eating, Visiting Apr 15, 2019
- March 2019
- Feb 21, 2019 Winter Style Equation Feb 21, 2019
- January 2019
- Dec 30, 2018 A Celebration of 2018's Power Outfits Dec 30, 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016