2017 was a time of trial and error. I was constantly discovering and re-discovering what I'm capable of and find joy in. I learned that it's not about wearing something new and trendy every day to impress people I don't know. I got dangerously close to quitting Magenta Blazer several times because I was obsessed with the number of followers. My one-year anniversary reminded me why I started Magenta Blazer. Writing it helped me get back to treating this as a fun, creative outlet and safe space to share my passions.
A year ago, I remember freaking out because I didn't know how to answer a simple question: What is my style? I was all over the place. A year later, I have several answers to that question, but I hope the answer continues to evolve and morph with the season, my mood, my age and of course trends. The difference is that for the first time, I'm OK with that change. For the first time it's exciting, rather than scary!
Before I get to my answers, I want to take one detour into the deeper meaning behind finding my style. This doesn't just refer to my outfits. It also covers my happiness, my day to day, what keeps me going and healthy, in all meanings of the word. However, this is an outfit blog, so I'll keep it focused on clothing. That said, I'm a strong believer that a fabulous outfit can bring joy. Seriously. A power outfit is like an addiction, minus the calories, caffeine or hangover. The moment I put on a power outfit, I feel like I can conquer anything.
Now to the fun stuff! These are some of the magical moments of 2017 that defined my style.
My Style is Sneakers & Dresses
My many travels set in stone my love for dress and sneaker combos. Adding a casual, comfortable vibe to a fancier item feels effortless and chic all at the same time. Before my closet was filled with heels I was sneaker obsessed in high school. This trend feels like going back to my roots, rediscovering a past love and putting a new, fancy twist on it.
My Style is Graphic Tees
Whether you're pairing with amazing heels and a leather skirt or layering with a bomber or blazer, a graphic tee is always a yes. The highlight for me was finding my mom's vintage tee from her gymnastics days in the early 80s. This tee is so funky and soft. Knowing it's history makes it that much more special. In 2018 I hope to add more vintage tees full of lots of history to my collection and outfits.
My Style is Statement Boots
I went on a bit of a boot shopping spree this fall and have zero regrets. By going with a dramatic boot, the rest of the outfit can be more neutral and act as the backup dancers to the main performer. Creating outfits around these was so easy, pulling color inspiration and matching with items that were already in my closet. These will continue to take the stage in early 2018.
My Style is the Perfect Leather Jacket
This All Saints jacket was my investment piece of the year and also the new love in my life. This jacket can make any look instantly cool and goes with virtually anything. There isn't any other item I can think of that has those same magic powers.
My Style is High-Waisted Everything
If it's not broke, where it over and over and over! High-waisted bottoms now dominate my closet and every outfit I put together. I feel confident in a high waist and love pairing them with cropped tops and a good front tuck. Please let 2018 continue to embrace the high-waisted trend!
Travel was a big part of my self-discovery this year. I finally went to Europe for the first time and my world grew substantially. My trip to the French Alps taught me about pushing past my self-appointed limits and outside of my comfort zone. This was a life-changing trip that I plan to carry with me through every new adventure. It will forever remind me to always take risks and have fun.
It's been a whirlwind of a year! Here's to more travel, self-discovery, style-defining outfits and getting to bed before midnight. Looking forward to what is in store for 2018.
- Nov 8, 2018 How I Shop Luxury Brands for Less Nov 8, 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016