Twice a year I hit the reset button on my closet. Literally this means swapping my winter and summer clothing in preparation of the upcoming season. Spiritually I find it to be a soothing exercise of closing the door on one season and welcoming the next. In the City we have tiny closets, so the closet swap is necessary to get the most out of your limited space. As I've been following this ritual for the last eight years, I've got it down to a science in eight steps. Read on to follow my process in photos.
It started off a lazy Saturday, but we had a major closet swap to tackle. Jax was not impressed, but the job needed to get done. I always find it hard to get the task started, but once it's completed, it feels amazing.
Before: overstuffed with warm, winter clothes. Overstuffed is an understatement. Every time I swap the goal is to clean out to make as much available space as possible. I need to make room for future shopping trips! Luckily, summer clothing is much lighter.
Step 1: Pull summer wardrobe out of storage.
For me, that means pulling plastic storage bins out from under the bed.
That’s a lot of bathing suits. I purchased these bins at Bed Bath and Beyond. I chose these because they are clear to easily spot specific items I may need to hunt down, and they fit well under my bed.
Step one made room for Jax to hide under the bed! As a puppy he loved crawling under the bed. He doesn't fit as well now, but that didn't stop him.
Step 2: Remove winter clothing from closet to be packed away until next season
Fold with care for a long hibernation. If you don't plan--or have a reason--to wear an item in the warmer months, pack it away to make room.
I leave many of my lighter sweaters but pack away my heavy wools.
Step 3: Remove items from closet that you haven't worn in the last season.
If you haven't worn an item once during its season, get rid of it! If you don't love how you look and feel in an item, get rid of it. Again, to make rooms for new ones that you will wear and love!
This is by far the hardest part for me. I’m a pack rat, but I must be ruthless so my closet doesn't burst at the seams.
Final selection. A moment of silence for these 16 items...I will find good homes for them.
Step 4: Update my closet app to my latest changes
Aka my digital closet of choice: Stylebook! Every item that will be packed away for the season, gets categorized by the season. In this case, winter.
I list the season for the items I swap out so I always know what’s been packed away. In the off-season, I tend to forget what's been packed for storage and search the closet high and low. This way, I can easily locate items I thought I lost. I also use the winter search on super cold days so I can see every warm item available to me at once.
I don’t completely delete items to avoid losing historical outfits. I move them to a separate folder so they don't appear as available when I'm browsing my digital closet. This also confirms if I chose to remove an item myself or if I lost something.
Step 5: Before moving the summer items into the closet, try them on
Be sure they still fit and you still love them before adding them to your closet. This is the fun part where you get to rediscover some of your favorites. It's also a time to reevaluate the items you packed away so many months ago to ensure you'll still wear them. Cue the Sex and the City dress-up montage ;)
Step 6: Swap!
Summer items that I'm keeping get hung. I use Febreze fabric spray as I hang to release wrinkles and refresh them. I also hang them up in a specific order. My preference is by type. Maxis all together, sleeveless all together, etc. Figure out your own closet strategy that works for you.
Winter items get packed away in the same container the summer items just came from. Take care in folding properly; whatever wrinkles there are now will be set in come next winter.
Step 7: Shoes get swapped too
Out with the boots and in with the sandals!
Hello, my summer babies! I have missed you through all of the cold months.
Goodbye until next season, my winter babies. I keep some of my booties for in-between times and cooler pairings, but the rest get packed away for the warmer months. I use boot forms for my higher pairs so they keep their shape.
Step 8: The finishing touches
Clothes swaps are the perfect opportunity to clean up any messes and do some extra organization.
While the closet is pulled apart, perfect the closet organizarion and give it a good tidy + clean. I haven't seen this much of the floor in quite some time!
Ensure your winter wardrobe is all set for hibernation. It's also a great time to clear out any dust bunnies that may have formed under the bed.
Sorry, Jax. No more hiding space under the bed.
- Sep 25, 2019 Surpassing seasonality with a striped dress Sep 25, 2019
- August 2019
- Jul 2, 2019 The best under garments for summer Jul 2, 2019
- Jun 11, 2019 Summer clean out! Shop my closet Jun 11, 2019
- May 2019
- Apr 15, 2019 Miami: Packing, Buying, Eating, Visiting Apr 15, 2019
- March 2019
- Feb 21, 2019 Winter Style Equation Feb 21, 2019
- January 2019
- Dec 30, 2018 A Celebration of 2018's Power Outfits Dec 30, 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016