We are about two weeks to Labor Day, and I find myself wishing I had a couple extra weeks of summer weather and summer wardrobe to take advantage of. Since I don't have the ability to pause time, I plan to stuff all of my favorite summer outfits into these remaining summer days.
In the beginning of August I promised I wouldn't buy any more summer items. It took a lot of self-control as all the summer sales hit, but my summer wardrobe is in a great place, and if I bought something I'd only have a chance of wearing it once before packing it away until next summer.
This is also a great time to reevaluate my summer wardrobe. While it's still fresh in my head, I need to organize what outfits worked well and what was a failed pairing. If there are summer items in my closet I haven't worn yet, this is prime time to either get a wear in or to decide to retire it. I won't be packing away my summer wardrobe to make room for winter sweaters yet, but I'm setting the ground work for deciding what gets packed away for another season and what gets purged if I didn't wear it or it's too worn out to save. When next summer begins I will be well prepared with a plethora of power outfits already lined up.
I kicked off this summer season with a preview of some of my favorite summer outfits. Looking back to that post from mid-June, my wardrobe has gone through a couple changes and my style has evolved in just that short amount of time.
An innocent trip to Target transformed my summer wardrobe and really stepped up my dress game. I've really embraced the midi length and love the way I feel in these dresses--comfortable and confident. I've been having a difficult time finding warm-weather dresses that I can wear to the office and were a flattering fit on me. Each dress from my Target shopping spree cinched at the waist and just worked for me. Consistent with other summers, I've worn way more dresses and skirts than pants throughout these warm months.
My style preferences have changed from focusing on bright colors all of the time to a much more neutral palate. Each week of outfits documented in my app features blacks and whites. I'm excited about this trend. Whites and blacks are classic, and my closet is fully stocked! Additionally, I've noticed a theme in pairing a white or black top with a colorful bottom or shoe accent. I've added several patterned skirts in unique cuts to my closet this summer.
Crop tops were a pleasant surprise discovery for me this summer. As mentioned in my last post, the combination of high-waisted bottoms, a crop top and my short waist means that my clothing meet at the skinniest, most flattering part of my waist and little to no skin is left showing. I've added a couple crop tops (white and black!) to my closet and paired them with both high waisted bottoms I already owned and some of my newly purchased skirts mentioned above.
I've really embraced #casualfridays and #flatfridays. I've expanded my focus from typical office wear to let in a bit more comfort and allow my personality to come through a bit more. This is best captured with my collection of sneakers and comfy dresses and skirts that pair well with them. There's nothing better than an item that can be dressed up or down.
These are some of my favorite outfits so far from Summer 2016. All of these items will be lovingly packed away in a couple weeks, patiently waiting to shine again next year, but as the heat continues to blaze, I will continue to take advantage with my favorite warm weather outfits.
- Nov 8, 2018 How I Shop Luxury Brands for Less Nov 8, 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016