My not-so-secret weapon to outfit creation is my digital closet app Stylebook. Inside Stylebook are pictures of every item in my closet, and it's the most used app on my phone.
I logged my first outfit on June 4, 2012. My first logged outfit was a white button down, red skinny jeans and suede booties with fringe. Choose any day in the last six years and I can tell you what I was wearing. Since then I've gone through many trends, but Stylebook has been the constant. Over the years I've found even more creative uses for a digital closet.
Outfit inspo from my own closet
I spend my Sunday nights planning 5-6 outfits for the week, considering the weather and the planned activities. When I'm coming up short on what to wear, I flip back to earlier months or even years to jog my memory on outfits and rediscover old items. If there's an item I want to wear but don't know how to style it, I look back at every other outfit I've created using that piece. This kick starts the ideation for a new idea.
Outfit inspo from literally anywhere captured
Whenever I'm inspired by a look on the street, on TV or anywhere, I try to recreate the look using items already in my closet. If it's something I can't create with my own pieces yet I love it, I grab a photo and file it with other inspiration to revisit whenever I want.
Packing from anywhere
Packing literally takes me forever. The first step is putting together some looks on my app focusing on versatility in case of extreme weather, day to night and comfort. Bonus points if the items I plan to pack work for multi outfits. Then I try everything in real life. Once an outfit is confirmed, I move to app packing list so that I never forget packing anything.
I use my calendar for more than tracking outfits. Every outfit is tied to a memory. I can look back months or years and remember what was going on at that time. I've used this to track down dates I've forgotten in the past: the date I went to the doctor, the date of a big meeting, etc.
Shopping voice of reason
When I'm shopping and really want to buy something that I don't particularly need, I try to justify it by seeing if I have anything like it already. The other day I tried on a black floral wrap dress. I have multiple floral dresses, but a quick flip through my closet, showed me I didn't have any in this same cut--purchased!
Closet clean out companion
I use it to get rid of clothing I haven't worn in a while. As a pack rat, I always need to make room in my closet for new items. I can see the last time I wore something. I try to make 1 year my cut off to get rid of things, but sometimes the emotional tie keeps it there longer. Admittedly, there are items in my closet that I haven't worn in two years.
When I first tried this dress on at Target, I used the app to see how many other floral midi dresses I had in the closet before I decided to purchase. Turns out, I own quite a few, but I justified this one with the unique high neck. A few days later I went searching through my digital closet for dresses that would pair well with sneakers. The next challenge for this dress is how to accessorize and pair it next to look like a totally different look!
Getting started on digitizing your closet is the hardest part. Taking pictures of literally everything is time consuming. However, once it's in there, the possibilities, matchabilities and organizational options are endless.
- Nov 8, 2018 How I Shop Luxury Brands for Less Nov 8, 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016