My husband got me a gift card for MM.LaFleur, a clothing collection for professional women, for Christmas. I totally get why he got it for me. Their story begins with this statement:
“When women succeed in the workplace, the world becomes a better place. Founder & CEO Sarah LaFleur was once your typical woman in finance whose closet was packed with blah-feeling pantsuits. Back then, she dreamed of a more practical, inspired wardrobe for herself and all professional women.”
This is so in line with the Magenta Blazer mission. When you put on that power outfit, you have the confidence to conquer the world.
MM.LaFleur offers three ways to shop: 1) Mailed Bento box with several items chosen for you by a stylist based on a survey you take 2) Visit a showroom where you can work 1:1 with a stylist. There’s also coffee and prosecco! 3) Shop online. Their entire collection is available.
I started by browsing their online collection. My first impression was that their collection was filled with extremely classic pieces in safe colors and modest cuts for a professional woman with a capital P, meaning women who have to wear business attire to the office each day. Tailored dresses, skirts with a blouse and jacket. Definitely no jeans or sneakers like I’m used to wearing to my media job!
Reading further on their site, I found where we started differing in our missions:
We know you have #BetterThingsToDo than worry about what to wear, so our mission is to take the work out of dressing for work.
This is the part that I really enjoy. I love the hunt for unique, splashy pieces that have the potential to make multiple power outfits.
I couldn’t find any pieces that I loved on the site, so I opted for a Bento box . The note from my stylist said that she stuck with classic pieces to start building my capsule wardrobe. The packaging was absolutely stunning. I really loved that fabrics and styles were carefully chosen with traveling and easy care in mind. At the end of the day, none of the pieces were exciting to me. I couldn’t justify spending the money without being certain I would wear the pieces. I ended up sending all of the items back.
I didn’t give up though! I recognize that I’m not the target audience for this incredibly #bossbabe audience of women MM.Lafleur is targeting, but I loved the quality of pieces, so I scheduled a second Bento box with very detailed notes to my stylist: more color, less black. More items that can be paired (aka dressed down), less dresses.
My stylist listened, and I was really pumped about what was in my second Bento box. Same amazing packaging and quality. This time it took a lot of consideration to determine what to keep and what to let go.
The Walters 3.0 Top | Steel | Size S | $165
Return. I love the idea of this shirt. The front knot was intriguing to me, but when I put it on I was disappointed. There’s was a lot of bulk on my chest, the area where I have more than enough of my own bulk!
The Foster Pant | Dark Navy | Size 4 | $195
Return. In short, the pants just weren’t my style. I was struggling to come up with shoe pairings and they really didn’t do any favors in the flattery department.
The Phoebe Earrings | Yellow Gold | $95
Keep! I really love the shape and the uniqueness of these earrings. They caused me joy and excitement to add these to outfits ASAP.
The Antonia Top | Deep Indigo | Size S | $145
Return. Again, I loved the idea of this blouse, but the fit wasn’t right. The wrap front bulged out in an unflattering way and the length was too long on me.
The Marais Pant | Black | Size 4 | $195
Return. First off, these pants were definitely not cropped on me…one of the “perks” of being a shortie. Similar to the Foster pants, they just aren’t my style. One thing I will say is these pants magically form to your body without creating any lines or bumps. If only the style worked for me, I’d keep them for that reason alone!
The Audrey 2.0 Sweater | Seashell | Size S | $190
Keep! I like the way this looks better on me versus how it’s fitting the model. This sweater is made of the softest cashmere and the cut is very flattering. The fitted bottom will look slimming with jeans but it also makes it a great option to tuck into a skirt without adding bulk. The collar is square in the front and pulls into a V in the back. It’s these details that really made me love this sweater.
The Narie 2.0 | Black | Size 2 | $240
Return. This one was so hard. I went back and forth a million times and even tried it on with a couple pairs of shoes before finally deciding to send it back. I love the style and I love how it fit me. I feared that I wouldn’t have an event where it was appropriate to wear and it would end up hanging in my closet for years. I couldn’t justify the price tag with this fear.
If you’re a Professional with a capital P who has to wear business attire daily, I highly recommend MM.LaFleur, especially if you believe in the power of the power outfit. The quality is top-notch, and they successfully found ways to add character and unique elements to the most classic business attire.
- May 2019
- Apr 15, 2019 Miami: Packing, Buying, Eating, Visiting Apr 15, 2019
- March 2019
- Feb 21, 2019 Winter Style Equation Feb 21, 2019
- January 2019
- Dec 30, 2018 A Celebration of 2018's Power Outfits Dec 30, 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016