Signs of summer in New York are here. For one, I planned this week's outfits while dipping my toes in my apartment building's pool (one of the perks of living in Jersey City). The more annoying and unavoidable sign of summer is showing up to work a wilted, melty, sweaty mess with your clothes sticking to you. Once you dry out and try to make yourself presentable again, you shiver in freezing office AC the rest of the day. Repeat until September.
Hot weather isn't all bad. It's finally time to pull out the fun, summer wardrobe that's been packed away most of the year. Summer is the time to let a little more skin show and add some variety to your outfits. I've adopted a couple rules for work outfit planning during the hot months.
- Fun summer sandals are a must. I've built many power outfits starting from the shoe up, and summer is no exception, just new inspiration. Wedges, peep toes, bright colors--take full advantage!
- Dresses take center stage....finally! Bare legs weather opens up a whole section of dresses in my closet and makes outfit creation--and morning getting ready--so much easier. Pick a dress, some sandals and maybe a statement necklace. Done!
- Let some skin show, but just a little. I love sleeveless tops, usually in light or bright colors--perfect way to show of the tan I spent the weekend working on! A couple of my favorites are sleeveless button downs and of course my new sleeveless trench. It's super easy to layer on a blazer for a fancier look if you have an important mid-afternoon meeting or a sweater if it's cold in the office.
- Bring out the white. In a city known for its black clothing, I really embrace white in the warmer months. White pants are a great summertime neutral that pairs well with brights and blacks alike. A white blouse is always classic and pairs well with anything.
Here are a few warm weather outfit options from my own closet that I can't wait to wear this summer.
On the other hand, going to work is not the time to look like you're headed to the beach or a music festival. There are certain items that I've labeled completely off limits for the office. So much so, that I've categorized them in a summer folder in my closet app, so they don't tease me as I'm browsing outfits for work. Here are my personal rules for what's off limits for summer:
- Keep the shoulders covered. I have an off the shoulder dress in my closet that I'm dying to have a reason to wear, but I know the office it not the place. Spaghetti straps, halters and anything showing too much skin is reserved for the weekend.
- Is that a dress or a bathing suit coverup? If you have to ask, it's probably better not to wear it to the office. Consider how thin the material is, how short it is and if your bra is showing.
- Say no to flip flops. There is no pair of flip flops that's fancy enough for office wear. I've commuted in them before, but they aren't even comfortable enough for that. Beachwear only!
- Be careful with shorts. I've seen some super cute outfits with shorts on the streets on New York, usually paired with a long sleeve blouse to avoid showing too much skin. If the shorts are tight and/or shorter than my fingers with my arms at my side, it's a hard no for me.
The constant challenge throughout the summer is balancing light clothing for commuting and warmer layers for battling office AC. I keep a heavy, black cardigan (similar) and an oversized infinity scarf (same one) at my desk at all times. Just today I brought my white version of the same cardigan to the office to ensure I always have a warmer layer that somewhat goes with what I'm wearing. When my feet are cold, my whole body is freezing--not a great scenario for sandal season. I often slip my sandals off and a pair of warm socks on under my desk.
I've found that these summer dressing "rules" work for me, in order to feel comfortable in my clothes and in the heat. Find what gives you that great outfit feeling and own it for the summer.
- White crop top: Banana Republic (almost exact match, down to the zipper back by Alice and Olivia for $178. Another version with floral detail that's still office appropriate by Aqua for Bloomingdales for $88)
- High-wasted pink skirt: J. Crew (similar option in lavender from Urban Outfitters on sale fore $39. Another option in pleated chiffon by H&M for $29.99)
- Black sandals: Splendid (Similar lace up option also by Splendid for $157.95. Another option by Steve Madden on sale for $54.98)
- Green statement necklace: unknown (similar option by Francesca's for $38)
- January 2019
- Dec 30, 2018 A Celebration of 2018's Power Outfits Dec 30, 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016