You know when it's been cold for months and you're just dying for some warm weather? That's how I feel every year by the time we reach March, so I combined my birthday and our wedding anniversary to convince my husband to take me somewhere warm!
- Destination: Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Vacation goals: Relax and take in as much sunshine as possible
- Packing strategy: Start my summer wardrobe early and pack to look fab for every possible warm weather occasion! Perfect opportunity to set my wardrobe tone for the summer season.
Packing for a warm weather holiday while it's still chilly presents it's own set of issues because you first have to unpack the summer clothes before repacking them in your suitcase. Luckily, I have every item I own documented in my Stylebook app, so I've been digitally creating outfits for weeks prior to our trip so I knew exactly which pieces I had to dig up and also where the holes in my wardrobe were to start my summer shopping early!
This is not one of those trips where I was really mindful of my suitcase space. I totally overpacked. I was so excited about wearing summer styles that I was prepped for three outfit changes a day or several days of extra outfits just in case there was a snowstorm and we were stranded in paradise a little longer. A girl can dream.
The first major takeaway is that there was no reason to have three outfit changes per day. Most days we spent in our bathing suits. The most activity we did was switch between the pools (plural!) and the pristine beach.
I'm a huge fan of the high waisted bikini. It shows just enough skin and is my happy balance between flattering, sexy and coverage. I'm also loving the comeback of the one-piece trend. On a day when I'm not feeling my thinnest (did I mention that we stayed at an all-inclusive resort?) the one-piece acts a bit like Spanx, sucking me in where I need it most. We also did some snorkeling and boating activities. In a one-piece there was no fear or losing a top or bottom half in the water! My favorite suits this year came from Target and J.Crew. Target is great because they have a huge selection and they are super affordable. J.Crew suits are sold as separates so I was able to purchase the perfect sizes for top and bottom for my body, even if they didn't match.
I'm digging the button-down shirt as a cover up right now. It looks great and provides coverage from sun. A hat is a must. J.Crew is great because the hats comes in sizes and it's packable. You also can't go wrong with a baseball cap. This one from Adidas is a women's size and adjustable. It came in handy when I had crazy wet hair and needed to tame it.
Straight from bathing suits, we usually headed in for a little rest and a shower before dinner. All-inclusive resorts are a great excuse to get fancy and show off your new tan. The nights were cooler, but still quite warm and humid. I stayed cool with thin fabrics and items that show a little skin. Open back, crop top, off-the-shoulder--I hit all three summer staples in my dinner looks. In retrospective, I shouldn't started the trip off in my off-the-shoulder dress before my tan lines became so defined. Learn from my mistakes!
I also had a lot of fun playing with prints. Florals are everywhere this season, and I'm loving them. The brighter the colors and funner the print, the more tropical vacation appropriate.
Though my trip was in March, I feel ahead of the curve for the upcoming summer season. My warm weather wardrobe is set and I've nailed down the trends I'm loving. Is your closet ready for summer?
- Nov 8, 2018 How I Shop Luxury Brands for Less Nov 8, 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016