Like many women, I don't feel 100% about my body. However, wearing a crop top and feeling confident in it inspired me to share my body insecurities, in hopes that it will urge other women to look at their own body issues in a new, positive way.
I'm self-conscious of my boyish shape. I have a large bust, short torso, a not-so-flat stomach and no hourglass shape to speak of. Because of these "shortcomings" I would stay away from items that lacked shape or a defined waist. While shopping I knew what styles to avoid so I didn't hate the reflection in the dressing room mirror.
In recent years I've been trying to push myself to be a little more adventurous in what I’ll bring to the dressing room. There’s no harm in trying something on that I would have never considered buying. It was on one of these occasions that I was pleasantly surprised to find that crop tops could actually work on my body type, if paired well.
A combination of high-waisted bottoms and a crop top that meet at the skinniest part of my waist works best for me. A high-waisted pant or skirt makes my body appear longer than it actually is and gives me a bit of a womanly shape. I've worn high waisted bottoms with all types of shirts: tight fitting (because my tummy is already hidden by the bottoms, loose fitting (because I can tuck, and my waist is still defined) and recently my favorite pairing: crop tops.
Thanks to my short waist, not much skin shows in a crop top. In a magazine, the model would be shown with full washboard abs and flat tummy on display, but I’m very happy with a tiny peek on skin at my smallest part. I wouldn't dare attempt to wear a crop top with low rise bottoms and amble skin showing. Additionally, consider color and pattern. Go with a top in a solid color and let the bottoms steal the show in a bright color or pattern.
Also worth mentioning, I consider myself a pretty conservative dresser when it comes to showing skin in the workplace. I once read that you if you're unsure if something you plan to wear to the office is appropriate, see if your boss or someone is a higher position has worn something similar. One of the executives wore an amazing crop with ample skin showing a few weeks back, solidifying my decision to show off a bit of skin too!
The high waist + crop top works for my body type, but every woman’s body is unique. Reconsider what you previously thought were shortcomings to really see what styles work best on your body and own it! If you need a starting place, try the dressing room. Grab several items to try on that you never would’ve considered in the past. You too may be pleasantly surprised with the results!
- Black high-neck twisted crop top: Same one by TopShop for $30. Comes in multi colors!
- Grey high-waisted leather skirt: BananaRepublic. Similar faux leather version in black by Vince Camuto for $99. Another high-waisted A-line option in light pink by BCBG for $158.
- Black strappy sandals: Same pair by Steve Madden for $79.95. These come in 11 colors and are so comfortable!
- Nov 8, 2018 How I Shop Luxury Brands for Less Nov 8, 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016