As the two-year anniversary of Magenta Blazer came and went, I looked back at the last couple of years and came to the realization that I've lost the mission of what I set out to do. To put it bluntly, it just wasn't fun anymore. I've been thinking a lot about how to put my thoughts into writing and kept coming up short. I've decided to stick to lists, the easiest way to get out all of my thoughts. Let's start with the highlights.
What I love and will continue:
- I love the original mission: sharing real outfits for real working girls on a real budget who still want to add a unique flavor to their wardrobe.
- I LOVE hearing from readers! Whether it's a high school friend who was inspired to try a trend or a complete stranger re-organized their closet based off of one of my blogs, this is what gives me and Magenta Blazer LIFE.
- I love pushing my own outfit limits by constantly mixing and remixing items already in my closet.
- I love leaving my office to take a picture break that doubles as a mental break. This has allowed me to explore the great city I call home.
- I love my digital closet app. I've been digitally managing my closet before Magenta Blazer and will continue to as long as the app exists (the day it doesn't, I fear a melt down).
What is lacking in the fun department:
- Chasing likes and followers. Guys, I really tried not to care about these metrics, but it's so hard to separate numbers from the content I love. Admittedly, I took every unfollow personally, which is completely unhealthy.
- Daily Instagram posts. I spent so much time trying to keep up with the posts and not enough time writing the outfit tales that I wanted to share.
- Trying to keep up with the Joneses. Photo filters, Instagram story trends, Kara sparkles, looping gifs. The list goes on. These are all things that kept me scrolling through Instagram for hours at a time and comparing my mighty little community to the most established fashion influencers out there.
- Taking pictures of myself. While I hope the pictures improved since my humble beginnings two years ago, I never got comfortable with the act of posing on a crowded street or trying to look effortless. Furthermore, the photo taking was dictating my schedule, which was frustrating for those around me.
- Too much money spent on new clothes. I'd like to say that every purchase was meaningful and practical, but that would be a lie. While my purchases were always well-intentioned there are definitely items in my closet that I've featured in an Instagram post but never wore again. This is 100% against the MB mission.
What I'm changing:
- I'm going to refocus my mission and my efforts back to the blog. MagentaBlazer.com will be my own little safe space to make my own rules and share the style thoughts that occur to me!
- When an outfit makes me feel really great, I'll take a picture! Though I strive for it everyday, it doesn't happen everyday, so expect fewer outfit pictures, but know they are the ones a) I really love b) I have something to say about or c) that push my outfit limits.
Magenta Blazer is my hobby, and I started this because I'm passionate about putting together outfits I feel amazing in. Instagram followers and likes don't matter. The moment it starts feeling like work again and my joy is in jeopardy, I'll revisit and pivot to get back to my happy place. I hope you come along for the ride into this new chapter!
- Sep 25, 2019 Surpassing seasonality with a striped dress Sep 25, 2019
- August 2019
- Jul 2, 2019 The best under garments for summer Jul 2, 2019
- Jun 11, 2019 Summer clean out! Shop my closet Jun 11, 2019
- May 2019
- Apr 15, 2019 Miami: Packing, Buying, Eating, Visiting Apr 15, 2019
- March 2019
- Feb 21, 2019 Winter Style Equation Feb 21, 2019
- January 2019
- Dec 30, 2018 A Celebration of 2018's Power Outfits Dec 30, 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 23, 2018 Season Transition is Hard. Seven Reasons it Doesn't Have to Be Oct 23, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Five Reasons Why I'm Choosing Jumpsuits Over Dresses (And One Where Dresses Will Always Win) Oct 8, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Cape May 2018: Humidity + Wine Sep 12, 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- Jun 28, 2018 I Manage My Closet from My Phone Jun 28, 2018
- Jun 13, 2018 A Tropical Vacation to Set my Wardrobe Tone for Summer Jun 13, 2018
- Jun 7, 2018 Sneaker addictions make for good sneaker reviews Jun 7, 2018
- May 25, 2018 A case for finding a forever seamstress May 25, 2018
- May 15, 2018 Monochromatic Style Experiment Turned Love Affair May 15, 2018
- May 9, 2018 Calling all shorties: DYIing your jeans length is so easy! May 9, 2018
- May 1, 2018 When watching TV turns into a shopping habit May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Mar 20, 2018 White boots: yes or no? Mar 20, 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 Olympic training in Colorado...JK! Annual Sister Ski Trip Feb 21, 2018
- Jan 25, 2018 Seven Unique Ways to Layer Through Winter Jan 25, 2018
- Dec 30, 2017 My 2017 Style Dec 30, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 The Perfect Leather Jacket Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 I accidentally bought a new wardrobe at Target...again (fall edition) Oct 18, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Caring For Your Red Bottoms Oct 1, 2017
- September 2017
- Aug 18, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Five) Aug 18, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 An outfit tour of London (Part Four) Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 A Very Parisian Evening (Part Trois) Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 15, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Deux) Aug 15, 2017
- Aug 13, 2017 An outfit tour of Paris (Part Une) Aug 13, 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 27, 2017 Love what you wear Jan 27, 2017
- Jan 19, 2017 You can wear leather leggings and these are the ones Jan 19, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 I wore a sweatshirt to work Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Winter essential: black tights Jan 2, 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- Jun 29, 2016 I accidentally bought a new summer wardrobe at Target Jun 29, 2016
- Jun 20, 2016 Summer in the City Jun 20, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 What I bought after a month of no shopping Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 9, 2016 My favorite pencil skirt Jun 9, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 My take on the sleeveless trench Jun 6, 2016
- May 30, 2016 You can never have too many stripes May 30, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the sneaker trend May 23, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Getting creative May 16, 2016
- May 13, 2016 Bare leg dress weather is here May 13, 2016
- May 10, 2016 Ode to the day-saving peplum May 10, 2016
- May 5, 2016 A vow to not shop May 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016 Let's talk color May 3, 2016
- Apr 29, 2016 Business trip: the next level of planning Apr 29, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 The great trench adventure Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 26, 2016 This rule is meant to be broken Apr 26, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016 The outfit-making necklace Apr 22, 2016
- Apr 19, 2016 The all-seasons dress Apr 19, 2016
- Apr 15, 2016 Casual Friday Apr 15, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 The power outfit Apr 13, 2016
- Apr 11, 2016 One shirt, two ways Apr 11, 2016
- Apr 9, 2016 Winter in April Apr 9, 2016
- Apr 4, 2016 Just another Manic Monday Apr 4, 2016
- March 2016